With Eid coming up right now I thought I would share this winning recipe with you all. I received the original recipe (source unknown) from my sister and changed it up to suit my tastes.
It contained lots of cloves which I hate so I swapped out for black peppercorns, and I always add fresh herbs to my dishes, hence my addition of lovely fresh rosemary. There was also a glaze in the original recipe which I omitted as I felt the leftover sauce was sufficient and I did not desire a sweet honey flavour to be added to the meat. The recipe calls for green crushed chillies which I usually use, but I used red over here which is usually much hotter.
I am calling this a “roast leg” as call it colloquially, but I am pot – roasting it, you are welcome to roast it in the oven or even use a slow cooker (crockpot) if you so desire.
The Tastiest Roast Leg of Lamb
- 1 whole leg of lamb (leave fat on)
- 3 sprigs rosemary (fresh)
- 10 + whole black peppercorns
- 10 + whole garlic cloves (chopped roughly)
- 1 tsp black pepper (ground)
- 1 tsp white pepper (finely ground)
- 1 Tbls lemon pepper
- 2 Tbls Green Chillies (crushed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
- 3 onions (optional)
- 3 sweet potatoes (optional)
- Cut slits in about 10 places in the leg. Chop up garlic roughly.
- Insert garlic pieces, peppercorns and pieces of rosemary sprigs inside leg of lamb and inside all the slits.
- Mix together any leftover peppercorns, garlic pieces, rosemary, add black pepper, white pepper, lemon pepper, green chillies, crushed garlic, salt, lemon juice, soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce and olive oil.
- Rub the marinade all over the leg, taking care to press some of it into the slits. Cover with Clingfilm and refrigerate.
- The next day, peel and cut onions into quarters. Place leg in big pot with a little butter, brown on all sides. Add onion into the pot and a cup of boiling water. Cook on medium heat, turning occasionally and replenishing water when needed.
- Remove roast from pot and remove sprigs of Rosemary when the roast is cooked. Cut into slices. Serve on a bed of rice with cream style sweetcorn, vegetables etc.
- Simmer the leftover sauce in pot and pour over slices.
Hope you liked my debut cooking content!! I am really excited to share this with you and hope to be sharing some more quick and easy recipes suited for busy moms and large families! If you are interested in seeing the original recipe, give me a shout and if you try out this recipe, please share a pic with me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, tag me (@zaahidajoel) and add the hashtags #journeywithmum #eid2018. So excited to see your creations! Anyways let me get going with the rest of my Eid prep!!